Sunday, April 18, 2010

new route to the cinema

The middle of downtown is a hill. All sides slope down towards water or at least sea level. Living partway down one side of this hill and working on the opposite side, I've always circumvented the centre in order to ride at a fairly flat plane. I've avoided riding into locations in the middle, presuming that I'd need to ride up or down enough to make it inconvenient. That area of the downtown core is also more trafficed and I haven't been confidant enough yet to brave it.

Tonight I found out: not a problem at all.

I went to see Alice in Wonderland (loved it!) at a theatre right in the middle of that area and discovered that the increase in elevation takes place over about half a block in a residential area. The rest is almost perfectly flat. There's also a pedestrian-controlled light at the place where I need to cross a major street, then a bike lane along the 1-way street almost as far as the theatre.

For the second day in a row .... easy peasy!

Oh, and the bike racks out front of the theatre were packed with a whole variety of bicycles. I love to see it that way. If I'd had my camera with me I would have taken a photo. I think I need a new cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment