Tuesday, September 28, 2010

taking precipitational chances

Over the past few weeks, I've realized that it's more the threat of rain that decreases cycling than the rain itself.

little lakes on a bench

Now that I have a "rain plan", my default behavior in an overcast or drizzly situation is to pack a jacket and go. Last year, whenever it seemed like it could possibly rain, I erred on the side of caution and took the bus or walked.

So how many times have I actually been caught in the rain so far in September?

autumn drops

Twice.

(Not counting the one time it was already raining when I left the apartment.)

Many days, the rain has happened when I'm inside: at work, in a coffee shop with a friend, in the mall. By the time I'm ready to go, the sky isn't falling anymore.

If I'd avoided riding on all those overcast days (and yes, there have been a lot of them in September so far), I might as well be a shut-in. Or buy a bus pass.

rain anenome

The west coast certainly has a reputation for being rainy, but it's more that it could rain at any time, not that it does.

polka dotted pink

Besides, isn't the world just so beautiful when decorated with water?

No comments:

Post a Comment